What is restorative dentistry?
Restorative dentistry is a collective term for all the dental procedures used for restoring the teeth to their ideal functionality and appearance with the help of dental restorations. It involves treating teeth that are worn down, damaged, discolored, decayed, etc. Some of the most popular restorations are veneers, crowns, bridges, implants, filling, etc.
Dental veneers are thin, flat pieces of ceramic. They are custom-fabricated according to the shape and contour of a tooth and fit precisely on its frontal surface.
What are the uses of veneers?
- Veneers can treat teeth that are chipped and misshapen.
- They can be used to reduce the excessive gap between two adjacent teeth.
- They enhance the appearance of discolored teeth.
- They are used to provide stability to a tooth that has cracked.
Crowns, or commonly called dental caps, are dental restorations that cover an entire tooth. Just like veneers, they are custom-fabricated according to the shape, size, and contour of a tooth.
What are the uses of crowns?
- Crowns can change the contour of teeth which are damaged due to external trauma.
- If a tooth is cracked or fractured, crowns help in holding it intact.
- Discolored and misshapen teeth can be treated using crowns.
Dental bridges are artificial tooth-like structures used to replace missing teeth. A dental bridge is essentially a combination of a fake tooth and crowns on either side. The crowns provide anchorage and help in holding the bridge in place.
Other restorative dental procedures
Bonding: Bonding is the process of applying several layers of composite resinous material on the tooth to change its shape and size. It is widely used to fill cavities and treat minor cracks on the teeth.
Filling: Filling materials are tooth-colored and are made from either ceramic or composite. They are used to fill cavities on decayed teeth and also treat cracked teeth.
Dental implants: Implants are artificial teeth used to replace missing teeth. They are fixed directly on to the jawbone, which makes them the best replacement solution for missing teeth.
Please schedule an appointment online or call us at (970) 498-8607, and our highly experienced dentist, Dr. Clark, would be happy to help.